Let me help you answer that...
Top 5 reasons why writers who wanna' write, don't
1. Fear. 2. Fear 3. Fear 4. Fear 5. Fear
You're right, that's a pretty basic answer - let's get specific.
What are writers who wanna' write but don't really afraid of?
1. Owning Their voice & using it
2. Exposing themselves & Being Vulnerable
3. Hurting someone they love through their writing
4. Rejection - no one will like or read their work
5. Judgement as in, "umm, that sucked and so do you"
6. Not knowing where to start or how to finish
7. Having nothing of value to say aka writers block which, by the way, is a load of B.S
8. Doing What it takes to write
(Hint - "what it takes" is not what you think it is, have read IT IS, or have been TAUGHT, told OR SOLD THAT it is - NOPE, not even close...)
Writers who wanna' write but don't employ several strategies to avoid the fear/terror that is squashing their wordy dreams.
Top 5 ways Writers who wanna' write but don't, deal with their fear
1. Face Book (distraction) while citing not having any time to write
2. Snacking (distraction) while citing not having enough time to write
3. More Face Booking (distraction) while citing the, "no time" mantra
4. Cute kitty videos on Face Book (distraction) no time...
5. Texting about what they saw on Facebook and had for lunch (distraction) tick-tock
6. Talking about writing but not writing (The ultimate fake-out distraction) sigh...
7. Drinking coffee, looking out the window and cleaning spider webs because, "they're so distracting" while practicing not having enough time.
8. Checking e-mail, Face Book and the fridge - I feel like we've been here before, I must be distracted...or maybe I lost track of time.
If you're not ready & willing to get real with your writing dreams exit here 'cause what I'm about to say ain't pretty - but it's true.
It takes more than a five star vocabulary, good grammar, "how to" books, manuals and workshops, morning rituals, visualization, wishful thinking, praying, solitary confinement, mantras, affirmations, enthusiasm, charisma, creativity, a wild imagination, a good idea, astounding life experience or stunning new insight into life, love, lust & liberty to write.
What does it take?
Because writing will bring up every dark, painful, shitty, limiting idea, memory, belief, action, experience and thought you've ever had, and then some.
But it's O.K.
Once we move through that cesspool of inadequacy, you'll have grand fodder for many wise and wicked tales.
Why Writers who wanna' write, don't
They're afraid to get raw, real and deal so they can finally tell their story.
Then you just might have what it takes to do what you wanna' do, but...
If you want to get through that maze of crap we just talked about with any semblance of ease, elegance, grace and victory, then you'd be wise to get some professional help - that's where The Inky Well and I come in!
THE INKY WELL
Bulletin release from The Secret society of writers who do WTF they wanna' do and WRITE:
"Your voice was never lost so there's no need to "find" it."
It IS time to RECLAIM your voice and USE IT with confidence, courage and clarity!
To help you get down with your powerful, wordy self, I offer you
The Inky Well!
(funky name, hunh?)
12 powerful (and I mean power-fulL) weeks of
Diggin' Deep & Developing the Confidence, Courage, Clarity & Skills you need to do what you wanna' do!
The Inky Well Writing Workshop
The Inky Well Writing Workshop
September 20th - December 6th 2017
12 weeks of Diggin' Deep & Developing the Confidence, Courage, Clarity & Skills you need to do what you wanna' do, and write!
HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL EXPERIENCE:
- 3, 1 HOUR PERSONALIZED COACHING SESSIONS (heads up - these are powerful and guaranteed to elicit forward motion)
- ROUND THE CLOCK COACHING ON OUR PRIVATE FACE BOOK LAND PAGE
- 12, 1 HOUR LIVE, FULLY INTERACTIVE WEBINARS (often, but not always, recorded for your re-enjoyment)
- DAILY WRITING PROMPTS (weekends optional)
- AN OPEN, CREATIVE & SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY OF GENEROUS WRITERS (This is unusual & priceless! If you've ever swam in a sea of writer infested waters, you'll know what I'm talking about...)
- PERSONALIZED READING AND SURROGATE EDITING SERVICES
- RADICAL ENCOURAGEMENT, HONESTY & LOVE
- LAUGHTER, TEARS, PLAY & JOY
- ALL GENRES OF EXPLORATORY WRITING (including, flash fiction, rhyme & reason, generosity circles, erotica, memoir and more)
- SKILL BUILDING HOMEWORK
- NOURISHING, WITNESSING & GUIDANCE IN YOUR UNIQUE BLOOMING PROCESS